In the early 1950s, BMW concentrated on refining what were essentially pre-war designs, but by 1955 was ready with a brace of new machines, the R50 and R69. Of 500cc and 600cc respectively, the newcomers inherited the up-dated flat-twin engine introduced on the R51/3 a few years previously, but deployed this in all-new cycle parts, the most notable departures from preceding practice being the Earles-type leading-link front fork and swinging-arm rear suspension enclosing the drive-shaft in the right leg - developments first seen on the works racers. Luxury tourers, the R50 and R69 sold to discerning enthusiasts to whom expense mattered little when set against the excellence of BMW engineering.
This R50 benefits from a fresh and complete restoration, with:
- engine rebuild
- new paint
- new exhausts
- new spokes